The visa application process may differ by country the process is subject to change. We recommend researching the visa application process and checking with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you have questions. The following is meant to serve as a general overview for your reference.
After your Admission into VISP:
- If you have not already done so, submit sufficient financial documentation necessary for the visa process to your VISP advisor.
Request your Immigration Documents through Terra Dotta:
For a visual step-by-step guide to this process, download our Terra Dotta Instructions for students.
- Visit https://terradotta.wisc.edu, and Login using your NetID and password. Then click on the Incoming Students tile.
- Click to start a New F-1 Student Request.
- Select a request for the 2023 term.
- Complete the required sections on the Terra Dotta form:
- Attached Documents: you must upload your passport scan and financial documentation as attached documents.
- Dependent Request Form: Add Dependent (optional): If you have a dependent child or spouse coming with you, you must enter that information here.
- Document Information: New Student: You are confirming that you understand your I-20 will be delivered electronically.
- F-1 SEVIS transfer-in Information: Are you currently studying in the USA on a student visa? Enter that information here. If not, please skip.
- Financial Questionnaires: These questionnaires have you enter the information about your source(s) of funding for your time in VISP. Each step will ask you if you have that kind of funding, and if so to upload proof of it.
- E-Signature Documents: Read and digitally sign both documents.
- Hit Submit button at the top of the screen. Until this is submitted, our staff cannot move forward with your request.
- Your electronic I-20 will be ready approximately 2-3 weeks following your Terra Dotta submission.
After you receive your I-20:
- Review the visa application guidance provided to you by our ISS office.
- Pay your SEVIS fee online using your personal SEVIS identification number.
- Make your visa appointment at your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate, complete the appointment, and receive your visa back.
- Be sure to keep photocopies of all important documents for your records.